Featured Article from Software Monetization
Software Monetization Ensures Security, Flexibility for Applied Flow Technology
As a leader in the piping and ducting systems analysis and modeling software, Applied Flow Technology (AFT) – which has nearly 1,100 customers in over 50 countries – needed to protect its software and be able to successfully perform in a competitive market at the same time.
After using software-based protection for years, AFT decided it was not providing the standard of security the Colorado Spring, Colo.-based company required. AFT needed a secure solution to prevent hacking, reverse engineering and improper usage of their innovative engineering tool.
In addition, AFT’s software licenses were stored on disks, which were subject to corruption and licenses were sometimes lost due to day-to-day wear on the disks, leaving customers without access to the necessary software – not to mention burdening AFT’s tech support.
“On the business side, we wanted a solution with a reasonable cost for deployment,” according to Tom Glassen, vice president of operations at AFT. SafeNet (News - Alert) provided a competitively priced solution that allowed AFT to stage shipments over the year, helping them manage cash flow.
Ultimately, AFT integrated SafeNet’s Sentinel HASP HL into its software deployment to ensure license compliance, and saw an immediate rise in customer satisfaction. The company was able to update to the most current technology and make their licenses Vista 64-bit compatible.
“Customers are happy because they wanted to move to a USB key,” Olsen explained. “Now users can actually see the key, it’s not on the computer. So, if the hard disk gets wiped, they don’t lose their license.”
According to Glassen, the most obvious benefit is that HASP provides AFT with a means to get away from outdated technology and on to a current USB key, to deploy its licenses.
“Second, is the success of HASP in terms of it working to secure our licenses. It’s worked well and with minimal problems.”
Want to learn more about the latest in communications and technology? Then be sure to attend ITEXPO West 2012, taking place Oct. 2-5, in Austin, TX. ITEXPO (News - Alert) offers an educational program to help corporate decision makers select the right IP-based voice, video, fax and unified communications solutions to improve their operations. It's also where service providers learn how to profitably roll out the services their subscribers are clamoring for – and where resellers can learn about new growth opportunities. For more information on registering for ITEXPO click here.
Stay in touch with everything happening at ITEXPO. Follow us on Twitter.
Edited by Rich Steeves
Software Monetization eBooks
Featured Case Studies
- Apollo Communications Protects its Intellectual Property and Enforces Software Licensing with Gemalto Sentinel
- Cadac Group Cuts Operational Expenses & Gains Licensing Flexibility with Gemalto Sentinel
- Sentinel LDK Assures Revenue, Expands Licensing Flexibility, and Reduces System Management Costs for CAD Software Company
- Softing Industrial Automation Works with Gemalto Sentinel to Monetize the IoT
- Miko Maximizes Software Revenue & Reduces Operational Expenses with Gemalto Sentinel
- Xsens Technologies Streamlines Operations & Expands Revenue with Sentinel
- Structural Test and Monitoring Software Protected by Sentinel Integrated with NI LabVIEW
- Seize the IoT Opportunity
- Format International Replaces Inflexible Software Protection and Licensing Dongles with Sentinel LDK with EMS
- Envitrans Reduces Software Piracy & Expands Revenue with Sentinel LDK and Sentinel EMS Business Challenges
- Snell Protects Valuable IP and Streamlines Licensing Operations with Sentinel RMS & EMS
- Following Several Acquisitions, Sage Implements Sentinel RMS to Harmonize a Multitude of Disparate Licensing Systems- existing on site now
- With SafeNet Sentinel, AEOL Protects their Market-leading Training Software while Driving Back-office Efficiencies- existing on site now
Featured White Papers
- Frost & Sullivan - Penny Wise, Pound Foolish: The Fallacies of Choosing to Build vs Buy a Software Monetization System
- NEW! Frost & Sullivan - Competitive Analysis of the Software Licensing and Monetization Market
- NEW! IDC Cloud-Based Software Adoption Delivering Value to Customers
- Frost & Sullivan - Get Connected to Profit: Embracing Software Propels Growth in IoT Era
- More Variety with Less Cost: Using Software Features to Achieve Product Differentiation
- Monetizing the IoT: Show Me the Money: A Grey Heron white paper sponsored by Gemalto
- Cloud-Based Software Licensing - A THINKstrategies white paper: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitiveness
- Consolidating Software Licensing Technologies Post M & A: A survival guide for software publishers & intelligent device manufacturers
- 5 Tips for Software Monetization in the IoT
- IDC Supporting Software Business Transformation with Systems Designed for the Task
- How to Achieve a Cloud-Connected Experience Using On-Premise Applications
- IDC Meeting Customer and Business Needs in a Changing Market
- NEW! Cloud-Based Software Licensing: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Pricing Model Flexibility as a Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Monetizing IoT - Show me the Money
- NEW! Monetization Strategies and Technologies to Future-proof Your Business