Featured Article from Software Monetization
Software Monetization: Countering Piracy Threats
As mentioned in previous columns, a software protection solution is necessary to help reduce the use of unlicensed software.For every $100 worth of legitimate software sold, an additional $75 worth of unlicensed software also made its way into the market, generating absolutely no revenue for the original ISV (independent software vendor), according to the Business Software Alliance (BSA)/IDC 2010 Piracy Impact Study.
A recent SafeNet (News - Alert) whitepaper, From Software Hack to Counterattack, examines a variety of the most common application hacking techniques and the best counterattacks for protecting applications from piracy. Patching executable files and dynamically linked libraries is one such anti-hacking tactic.
“The most convenient way to protect a large number of executable and dynamically linked libraries is by using automatic protection tools also known as ‘packers,’” the whitepaper stated. “The most effective tools also offer anti-piracy specific measures such as anti-debugging mechanisms, executable file encryption and data file encryption mechanisms allowing the protected application to encrypt and decrypt data files on-the-fly.”
SafeNet also offers general software protection strategies for publishers employing hardware-based protection keys, including the following best practices:
Use Both the API-based implementation and automatic protection – Maximize security by using the API (application programming interface) to implement calls to the software protection keys, and protect the program with an automatic protection tool that offers anti-debugging and anti-reverse engineering measures. According to SafeNet, using one protection method does not preclude the use of the other.
Insert multiple calls in your code – Inserting many calls to the protection key throughout the code and binding key data with software functionality frustrates those attempting to crack your software. Multiple calls increase the difficulty in tracing a protection scheme.
Encrypt/decrypt data using the protection key’s on-chip encryption engine – The encryption process, which takes place before distributing the software, and the decryption processes, which take place during run-time of the protected application.
Only when both the security infrastructure and its implementation are maximized is the software truly protected, according to SafeNet.
“This may sound like an enormous task to accomplish, and while it is by no means trivial, it is definitely achievable,” the whitepaper stated. “Implementing effective protection can not only increase your product’s longevity, but it can also significantly increase your company’s revenue, making it well worth the effort.”
Edited by Peter Bernstein
Monetizing IOT- Insights from Licensing Analysts
Featured Case Studies
- NEW! Cadac Group Cuts Operational Expenses & Gains Licensing Flexibility with Gemalto Sentinel
- NEW! Sentinel LDK Assures Revenue, Expands Licensing Flexibility, and Reduces System Management Costs for CAD Software Company
- NEW! Softing Industrial Automation Works with Gemalto Sentinel to Monetize the IoT
- NEW! Miko Maximizes Software Revenue & Reduces Operational Expenses with Gemalto Sentinel
- NEW! Xsens Technologies Streamlines Operations & Expands Revenue with Sentinel
- NEW! Structural Test and Monitoring Software Protected by Sentinel Integrated with NI LabVIEW
- NEW! Seize the IoT Opportunity
- NEW! Format International Replaces Inflexible Software Protection and Licensing Dongles with Sentinel LDK with EMS
- NEW! Envitrans Reduces Software Piracy & Expands Revenue with Sentinel LDK and Sentinel EMS Business Challenges
- NEW! Snell Protects Valuable IP and Streamlines Licensing Operations with Sentinel RMS & EMS
- Following Several Acquisitions, Sage Implements Sentinel RMS to Harmonize a Multitude of Disparate Licensing Systems- existing on site now
- With SafeNet Sentinel, AEOL Protects their Market-leading Training Software while Driving Back-office Efficiencies- existing on site now
Featured White Papers
- NEW! Consolidating Software Licensing Technologies Post M & A: A survival guide for software publishers & intelligent device manufacturers
- NEW! 5 Tips for Software Monetization in the IoT
- NEW! Supporting Software Business Transformation with Systems Designed for the Task
- NEW! Penny Wise, Pound Foolish: The Fallacies of Choosing to Build a Software Monetization System
- License and Entitlement Management in the Era of the Internet of Things
- The Impact of Virtualization and The Cloud on Software Entitlements
- Understanding White Box Cryptography
- How to Achieve a Cloud-Connected Experience Using On-Premise Applications
- The Four Cornerstones of a Comprehensive Software Monetization Strategy
- Meeting Customer and Business Needs in a Changing Market
- Cloudy with a Chance of Insight: An ISV's Guide to Customer Usage Data Collection and Analysis in the Cloud