Featured Article from Software Monetization
Software Monetization: Post-Acquisition Software Licensing
While acquisitions bring many benefits – including an expanded customer base and more revenue – they can also bring along a fair amount of baggage.
In some cases, the acquiring companies will inherit homegrown software licensing systems that might be totally incompatible with their own. Despite this challenge, it is still possible to expand – and without the additional headache of managing disparate licensing systems. In a recent blog post, Alexandra Lating, assistant product marketing specialist in SafeNet’s (News - Alert) software rights management division, provided a synopsis of a relevant software licensing case study.
Sage – an international business software, services and support company working primarily with small and medium sized businesses – had acquired other companies over the years, which allowed the firm to continue to expand globally. However, these acquisitions also led to multiple homegrown licensing systems that did not work cohesively, according to Lating.
“Sage is an expert on our customers and internal process; however, we needed a system that would also protect against anti-piracy and simplify the modeling of new products. Our former licensing systems did not solve this problem,” explained Ingo Sievers, marketing director at Sage.
According to the case study, SafeNet Sentinel RMS streamlined Sage’s back-office systems, creating harmony for the growing company. In addition, Sage used the capabilities in the Sentinel product to create flexible licensing models for their customers. “Sentinel RMS is extremely flexible, our customers can buy the modules of our software that they need for the way they really needed it,” Sievers said.
Sievers also noted that, after implementing Sentinel RMS, Sage was also able to discover additional untapped revenue opportunities.
“The customer registration process brought a lot of licensing history to the surface and exposed many unregistered customers,” Sievers said. “We were able to generate additional business by clearing up the discrepancies with these customers and receiving the compensation we were owed.”
While acquisitions can help businesses grow, there are ways to make sure they do not create serious challenges with your back-office.
To learn more about how Sage and other companies implemented SafeNet Sentinel RMS to streamline their back-office, click here.
Edited by Peter Bernstein
Software Monetization eBooks
Featured Case Studies
- Apollo Communications Protects its Intellectual Property and Enforces Software Licensing with Gemalto Sentinel
- Cadac Group Cuts Operational Expenses & Gains Licensing Flexibility with Gemalto Sentinel
- Sentinel LDK Assures Revenue, Expands Licensing Flexibility, and Reduces System Management Costs for CAD Software Company
- Softing Industrial Automation Works with Gemalto Sentinel to Monetize the IoT
- Miko Maximizes Software Revenue & Reduces Operational Expenses with Gemalto Sentinel
- Xsens Technologies Streamlines Operations & Expands Revenue with Sentinel
- Structural Test and Monitoring Software Protected by Sentinel Integrated with NI LabVIEW
- Seize the IoT Opportunity
- Format International Replaces Inflexible Software Protection and Licensing Dongles with Sentinel LDK with EMS
- Envitrans Reduces Software Piracy & Expands Revenue with Sentinel LDK and Sentinel EMS Business Challenges
- Snell Protects Valuable IP and Streamlines Licensing Operations with Sentinel RMS & EMS
- Following Several Acquisitions, Sage Implements Sentinel RMS to Harmonize a Multitude of Disparate Licensing Systems- existing on site now
- With SafeNet Sentinel, AEOL Protects their Market-leading Training Software while Driving Back-office Efficiencies- existing on site now
Featured White Papers
- Frost & Sullivan - Penny Wise, Pound Foolish: The Fallacies of Choosing to Build vs Buy a Software Monetization System
- NEW! Frost & Sullivan - Competitive Analysis of the Software Licensing and Monetization Market
- NEW! IDC Cloud-Based Software Adoption Delivering Value to Customers
- Frost & Sullivan - Get Connected to Profit: Embracing Software Propels Growth in IoT Era
- More Variety with Less Cost: Using Software Features to Achieve Product Differentiation
- Monetizing the IoT: Show Me the Money: A Grey Heron white paper sponsored by Gemalto
- Cloud-Based Software Licensing - A THINKstrategies white paper: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitiveness
- Consolidating Software Licensing Technologies Post M & A: A survival guide for software publishers & intelligent device manufacturers
- 5 Tips for Software Monetization in the IoT
- IDC Supporting Software Business Transformation with Systems Designed for the Task
- How to Achieve a Cloud-Connected Experience Using On-Premise Applications
- IDC Meeting Customer and Business Needs in a Changing Market
- NEW! Cloud-Based Software Licensing: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Pricing Model Flexibility as a Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Monetizing IoT - Show me the Money
- NEW! Monetization Strategies and Technologies to Future-proof Your Business