Software Monetization Featured Article
Vero Delivers Software Faster and Cheaper with Accelerating MonetizationOctober 01, 2012
By Peter Bernstein, Senior Editor
In the era of cloud computing, in which software is increasingly delivered online, the challenges of rapid and assured software monetization for independent software vendors (ISVs) is not a one-size-fits-all endeavor. In fact, software and technology vendors need to be able to bring together and effectively and efficiently manage elements such as development, billing, licensing and integration.
Vero, developer of CAD / CAM / CAE software recognized that the way it was managing its licenses – primarily by physically shipping licensing dongles – was outmoded, as detailed in a recent case study, “Vero Software Implements SafeNet Sentinel RMS.” It was cumbersome, slow and costly. Put simply they were not employing best practices based on best products and services. Change was in order. As Gerard O’Driscoll, Research & Development Director at Vero states in the case study, “We wanted to simplify software license distribution, reduce dongle costs and improve cash collection. Technically, we needed to manage licensing in a consistent way for all products, and improve the overall management of licenses, and in particular, network licensing.” In short Vero wanted to move away from the heartaches of a home grown system and streamline its licensing to a more manageable and cost-effective process..
For Vero, SafeNet’s (News - Alert) Sentinel RMS was the solution. It enabled the organization to automate software delivery, and in the process, cut costs and improve the customer experience. Eliminating hardware licensing dongles that were physically shipped to customers in the past cut costs significantly. Today Vero offers software-based, customer-driven fulfillment that is automated. This increases the speed of software delivery, cutting costs for Vero and confusion for customers.
Vero’s main objective was to manage multiple disparate software licensing systems each with its unique maintenance and updating requirements. SafeNet Sentinel RMS unifies their entire licensing process into one flexible and extensible environment. Vero now has visibility into customer usage and entitlements that are invaluable for planning and running its business, while customers get a consistent interface for managing their licenses.
In addition, using a software-based licensing approach, instead of relying on physical media eliminates not just costs, but the frustration of time lag. In the Internet Age, in which real-time is the only time, users expect obtaining and activating software to be seamless, painless and take minutes, not days.
The convenience of being able to obtain licenses at any time, from any place is now table stakes for vendors to remain competitive. For ISVs, the licensing process should not be an obstacle to doing business, but rather it needs to be a process where speedy delivery along with the ability to gather customer insights translates into faster monetization for current products and services as well as what comes next. This is why software-based licensing activation should be seen as a critical component of being fast to market and fast in the market.
That said, this is a non-trivial undertaking that requires the right strategy and proper execution if faster monetization objectives are to be achieved. Vero’s experience mimics many of the same challenges that ISVs face today. To move at the speed of the market, ISV’s need software licensing solutions that include everything from enablement to enforcement and monetization in order to simplify license distribution, manage licensing consistently across their portfolio and do so in a way that cuts costs while improving the customer experience.
Most importantly, it is about increasing the speed at which ingenuity is monetized. The case study highlights what ISVs need to do to optimize their businesses and accelerate their revenue using licensing solutions that are manageable, measurable and extensible.
Edited by Peter Bernstein
Software Monetization Resource Center:
Learn about these core elements to a complete software monetization strategy:
- Case Study: Iritech increases sales, secures its competitive edge, and flexibly expands into new markets using hybrid instance of Sentinel HASP
- Webcast: How to Sell More Software Using Trialware
- White Paper: Addressing New Challenges in Software Protection with .NET
- White Paper: From Hack to Counterattack: A Guide to Protecting Software Products Against the Top 8 Piracy Threats
- White Paper: Understanding White Box Cryptography
- Webcast: 7 Traits of Licensing Champions
- White Paper: How to Get SW Licensing Right the First Time
- White Paper: Build vs. Buy
- Video: Software Monetization in the Cloud: Navigating the Top 6 Cloud Blocks
- Video: Introduction to Cloud Licensing
- Webcast Series: Let's Do It In the Cloud (2011)
- Webcast Series: Navigating the Cloud (2010)
- White paper: Best Practices for Transitioning On-Premise Software Business to the Cloud
- White paper: Cloudy with a Chance of Insight: An ISV's Guide to Customer Usage Data Collection and Analysis in the Cloud
- Report: Frost & Sullivan Global Software License Management Market Report 2011
- White Paper: SafeNet and IDC Present a Lifecycle Approach to Software Licensing and Entitlement Management
- Case Study: Following Several Acquisitions, Sage Implements Sentinel RMS to Harmonize a Multitude of Disparate Licensing Systems
- Video: Software Licensing Operations
- Video: Cleaning up the Back Office
- Case Study: Vero Software Simplifies Distribution and Reduces Costs with Sentinel RMS
Try Sentinel HASP FREE today!
Download your FREE Developers kit Now!
For the latest software monetization news, events, discussions, and resources, visit LicensingLive! You’ll hear from software industry thought leaders, gain valuable insight, and stay one step ahead of the trends and changes to our industry.
From on-premise, hybrid, and into the cloud, this is your community. Join us!