Software Monetization Featured Article
Leveraging the Cloud for a More Efficient and Effective Software Delivery and Monetization ModelDecember 27, 2012
By Mae Kowalke, TMCnet Contributor
It is hard to escape the reality that software is moving to the cloud. At first it was a novelty and available only for specialty uses. But, when resource-intensive software such as the Adobe (News - Alert) Creative Suite joins the cloud as software-as-service (SaaS), you know the floodgates have opened wide.
Forrester predicts the global cloud market size is expected to more than double from roughly $33 billion in 2012 to about $78 billion in 2015, according to a recent webinar, “Customer Usage and Insight paving the road to optimized cloud-based business models,” by Todd Steel, senior product manager for software monetization solutions provider, SafeNet.
With this shift comes a demand for new licensing schemes, Steel added.
Steel went on to point out that customers are demanding more flexibility in licensing and delivery, including buy-as-you-like, where the customer has a perpetual subscription; pay-as-you-like, where there is a fixed price for pay-per-use; deploy-as-you-like, an on-premise cloud option; and access-as-you-like, granting anywhere, anytime access.
Part of the shift toward SaaS offerings comes from the business preference to draw from operating expenses with a software subscription instead of having to get authorization for the capital expense of purchasing software all at once and regardless of whether it will be used or not.
The shift to cloud delivery also changes how companies develop software.
“Software companies need to become more flexible,” noted Steel, “and need a platform to support this.”
That means instead of something like an annual update cycle, developers need to constantly iterate their software and create a feedback loop. No longer can developers get customer insight from value-added resellers and roll those ideas into an annual release. With the cloud, software companies must get feedback straight from the customer and run continuous support, sales, development, innovation and licensing.
“The successful solutions in the cloud market in the future are not individual cloud products,” said Steel. “It is a battle of cloud ecosystems. It is successful software vendors teaming with good platforms with good infrastructure hosting vendors in order to provide an end solution to customers, which then needs to be built on very solid service-level agreements.”
But the challenge for all parties involved in the ecosystem is collecting insight directly from the customer, and that comes from having good business processes and good vendors that know how to gather information from customers and leverage that information in their part of the ecosystem.
One option software providers might want to consider as they adjust to the new SaaS reality is a service such as SafeNet’s Sentinel Cloud. Sentinel Cloud helps providers monetize their offerings in the cloud by providing flexible service catalogues, provisioning features, end-user service usage controls, and service usage measurement. In short, it enables a flexible, easy and cost-effective means for software companies to have peace of mind and increase their speed to market and IP monetization.
Want to learn more about the latest in communications and technology? Then be sure to attend ITEXPO Miami 2013, Jan 29- Feb. 1 in Miami, Florida. Stay in touch with everything happening at ITEXPO (News - Alert) (News - Alert). Follow us on Twitter.
Edited by Peter Bernstein
Software Monetization Resource Center:
Learn about these core elements to a complete software monetization strategy:
- Case Study: Iritech increases sales, secures its competitive edge, and flexibly expands into new markets using hybrid instance of Sentinel HASP
- Webcast: How to Sell More Software Using Trialware
- White Paper: Addressing New Challenges in Software Protection with .NET
- White Paper: From Hack to Counterattack: A Guide to Protecting Software Products Against the Top 8 Piracy Threats
- White Paper: Understanding White Box Cryptography
- Webcast: 7 Traits of Licensing Champions
- White Paper: How to Get SW Licensing Right the First Time
- White Paper: Build vs. Buy
- Video: Software Monetization in the Cloud: Navigating the Top 6 Cloud Blocks
- Video: Introduction to Cloud Licensing
- Webcast Series: Let's Do It In the Cloud (2011)
- Webcast Series: Navigating the Cloud (2010)
- White paper: Best Practices for Transitioning On-Premise Software Business to the Cloud
- White paper: Cloudy with a Chance of Insight: An ISV's Guide to Customer Usage Data Collection and Analysis in the Cloud
- Report: Frost & Sullivan Global Software License Management Market Report 2011
- White Paper: SafeNet and IDC Present a Lifecycle Approach to Software Licensing and Entitlement Management
- Case Study: Following Several Acquisitions, Sage Implements Sentinel RMS to Harmonize a Multitude of Disparate Licensing Systems
- Video: Software Licensing Operations
- Video: Cleaning up the Back Office
- Case Study: Vero Software Simplifies Distribution and Reduces Costs with Sentinel RMS
Try Sentinel HASP FREE today!
Download your FREE Developers kit Now!
For the latest software monetization news, events, discussions, and resources, visit LicensingLive! You’ll hear from software industry thought leaders, gain valuable insight, and stay one step ahead of the trends and changes to our industry.
From on-premise, hybrid, and into the cloud, this is your community. Join us!