Featured Article from Software Monetization
Xcitex Leverages Sentinel HASP Time-Based Licensing for its Motion Software
When it comes to high-end software, customers want a test drive before they buy. At the same time, high-end software also requires strict licensing enforcement since even a few unauthorized instances can have a noticeable influence on the software developer’s bottom line.
These two requirements often conflict with each other, but Emmy Award-winning motion-analysis software developer Xcitex found a way around the problem.
Xcitex develops some of the foremost motion capture and analysis available on the market. It is used by research facilities, sports and biomechanics engineers, military test ranges and automotive crash facilities, and in 2006, its engineers won an Emmy for Outstanding Innovative Technical Achievement for its golf analysis work for CBS Sports.
“High-end users want to see and touch software before they purchase it, not just buy it from a spec sheet,” explained Peter Carellas in a case study.
Balancing its need for licensing protection with customers’ need to try before they buy, Xcitex went looking for a robust rights management product. The company found its solution with SafeNet’s Sentinel HASP.
“Sentinel HASP hardware keys are an effective mode of providing security without locking applications to specific computers,” said Carellas in the case study. “Our business model integrates many of the advantages of the HASP key – time verification, string checking and runtime counting – into our marketing and sales plans.”
Sentinel HASP provides robust software security solutions with innovative features such as licensing in virtual environments and the first and only software licensing and IP protection solution on the market that supports J2EE applications. It offers time-based authorization, reverse-engineering protection and code obfuscation technology, among other features, making it ideal for Xcitex and its software protection needs.
“Sentinel HASP allows us to put copies of our software in our dealers’ and potential customers’ hands for demonstrations and trials,” said Carellas in the case study. “We would not feel comfortable sending out our software without the key’s time limit feature. And because we can strategically expire access to our applications, it has even minimized our need for credit verification during the purchase cycle.”
Xcitex integrated Sentinel HASP into its motion analysis software and has secured thousands of software installs. Carellas said that trust is at the heart of any licensing system; it must be bulletproof against hacking, and that’s what Sentinel HASP has provided.
“Certainly, we had initial questions about the resistance of the Sentinel HASP key to hacking, but these concerns dissipated over time as we gained both mass endorsements from our customers and the endorsements of their respective IT departments,” he said.
Summarizing Xcitex’s experience with the software, Carellas noted: “The Sentinel HASP security has been reliable and robust, and we’re very pleased.”
Want to learn more about the latest in communications and technology? Then be sure to attend ITEXPO Miami 2013, Jan 29- Feb. 1 in Miami, Florida. Stay in touch with everything happening at ITEXP. Follow us on Twitter
Edited by Peter Bernstein
Monetizing IOT- Insights from Licensing Analysts
Featured Case Studies
- NEW! Apollo Communications Protects its Intellectual Property and Enforces Software Licensing with Gemalto Sentinel
- NEW! Cadac Group Cuts Operational Expenses & Gains Licensing Flexibility with Gemalto Sentinel
- NEW! Sentinel LDK Assures Revenue, Expands Licensing Flexibility, and Reduces System Management Costs for CAD Software Company
- NEW! Softing Industrial Automation Works with Gemalto Sentinel to Monetize the IoT
- NEW! Miko Maximizes Software Revenue & Reduces Operational Expenses with Gemalto Sentinel
- NEW! Xsens Technologies Streamlines Operations & Expands Revenue with Sentinel
- NEW! Structural Test and Monitoring Software Protected by Sentinel Integrated with NI LabVIEW
- NEW! Seize the IoT Opportunity
- NEW! Format International Replaces Inflexible Software Protection and Licensing Dongles with Sentinel LDK with EMS
- NEW! Envitrans Reduces Software Piracy & Expands Revenue with Sentinel LDK and Sentinel EMS Business Challenges
- NEW! Snell Protects Valuable IP and Streamlines Licensing Operations with Sentinel RMS & EMS
- Following Several Acquisitions, Sage Implements Sentinel RMS to Harmonize a Multitude of Disparate Licensing Systems- existing on site now
- With SafeNet Sentinel, AEOL Protects their Market-leading Training Software while Driving Back-office Efficiencies- existing on site now
Featured White Papers
- NEW! More Variety with Less Cost: Using Software Features to Achieve Product Differentiation
- NEW! Monetizing the IoT: Show Me the Money: A Grey Heron white paper sponsored by Gemalto
- NEW! Cloud-Based Software Licensing: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitiveness
- NEW! Consolidating Software Licensing Technologies Post M & A: A survival guide for software publishers & intelligent device manufacturers
- NEW! 5 Tips for Software Monetization in the IoT
- NEW! Supporting Software Business Transformation with Systems Designed for the Task
- NEW! Penny Wise, Pound Foolish: The Fallacies of Choosing to Build a Software Monetization System
- License and Entitlement Management in the Era of the Internet of Things
- The Impact of Virtualization and The Cloud on Software Entitlements
- Understanding White Box Cryptography
- How to Achieve a Cloud-Connected Experience Using On-Premise Applications
- The Four Cornerstones of a Comprehensive Software Monetization Strategy
- Meeting Customer and Business Needs in a Changing Market
- Cloudy with a Chance of Insight: An ISV's Guide to Customer Usage Data Collection and Analysis in the Cloud