Software Monetization Featured Article
Xcitex Leverages Sentinel HASP Time-Based Licensing for its Motion SoftwareJanuary 04, 2013
By Mae Kowalke, TMCnet Contributor
When it comes to high-end software, customers want a test drive before they buy. At the same time, high-end software also requires strict licensing enforcement since even a few unauthorized instances can have a noticeable influence on the software developer’s bottom line.
These two requirements often conflict with each other, but Emmy Award-winning motion-analysis software developer Xcitex found a way around the problem.
Xcitex develops some of the foremost motion capture and analysis available on the market. It is used by research facilities, sports and biomechanics engineers, military test ranges and automotive crash facilities, and in 2006, its engineers won an Emmy for Outstanding Innovative Technical Achievement for its golf analysis work for CBS Sports.
“High-end users want to see and touch software before they purchase it, not just buy it from a spec sheet,” explained Peter Carellas in a case study.
Balancing its need for licensing protection with customers’ need to try before they buy, Xcitex went looking for a robust rights management product. The company found its solution with SafeNet’s Sentinel HASP.
“Sentinel HASP hardware keys are an effective mode of providing security without locking applications to specific computers,” said Carellas in the case study. “Our business model integrates many of the advantages of the HASP key – time verification, string checking and runtime counting – into our marketing and sales plans.”
Sentinel HASP provides robust software security solutions with innovative features such as licensing in virtual environments and the first and only software licensing and IP protection solution on the market that supports J2EE applications. It offers time-based authorization, reverse-engineering protection and code obfuscation technology, among other features, making it ideal for Xcitex and its software protection needs.
“Sentinel HASP allows us to put copies of our software in our dealers’ and potential customers’ hands for demonstrations and trials,” said Carellas in the case study. “We would not feel comfortable sending out our software without the key’s time limit feature. And because we can strategically expire access to our applications, it has even minimized our need for credit verification during the purchase cycle.”
Xcitex integrated Sentinel HASP into its motion analysis software and has secured thousands of software installs. Carellas said that trust is at the heart of any licensing system; it must be bulletproof against hacking, and that’s what Sentinel HASP has provided.
“Certainly, we had initial questions about the resistance of the Sentinel HASP key to hacking, but these concerns dissipated over time as we gained both mass endorsements from our customers and the endorsements of their respective IT departments,” he said.
Summarizing Xcitex’s experience with the software, Carellas noted: “The Sentinel HASP security has been reliable and robust, and we’re very pleased.”
Want to learn more about the latest in communications and technology? Then be sure to attend ITEXPO Miami 2013, Jan 29- Feb. 1 in Miami, Florida. Stay in touch with everything happening at ITEXP. Follow us on Twitter
Edited by Peter Bernstein
Software Monetization Resource Center:
Learn about these core elements to a complete software monetization strategy:
- Case Study: Iritech increases sales, secures its competitive edge, and flexibly expands into new markets using hybrid instance of Sentinel HASP
- Webcast: How to Sell More Software Using Trialware
- White Paper: Addressing New Challenges in Software Protection with .NET
- White Paper: From Hack to Counterattack: A Guide to Protecting Software Products Against the Top 8 Piracy Threats
- White Paper: Understanding White Box Cryptography
- Webcast: 7 Traits of Licensing Champions
- White Paper: How to Get SW Licensing Right the First Time
- White Paper: Build vs. Buy
- Video: Software Monetization in the Cloud: Navigating the Top 6 Cloud Blocks
- Video: Introduction to Cloud Licensing
- Webcast Series: Let's Do It In the Cloud (2011)
- Webcast Series: Navigating the Cloud (2010)
- White paper: Best Practices for Transitioning On-Premise Software Business to the Cloud
- White paper: Cloudy with a Chance of Insight: An ISV's Guide to Customer Usage Data Collection and Analysis in the Cloud
- Report: Frost & Sullivan Global Software License Management Market Report 2011
- White Paper: SafeNet and IDC Present a Lifecycle Approach to Software Licensing and Entitlement Management
- Case Study: Following Several Acquisitions, Sage Implements Sentinel RMS to Harmonize a Multitude of Disparate Licensing Systems
- Video: Software Licensing Operations
- Video: Cleaning up the Back Office
- Case Study: Vero Software Simplifies Distribution and Reduces Costs with Sentinel RMS
Try Sentinel HASP FREE today!
Download your FREE Developers kit Now!
For the latest software monetization news, events, discussions, and resources, visit LicensingLive! You’ll hear from software industry thought leaders, gain valuable insight, and stay one step ahead of the trends and changes to our industry.
From on-premise, hybrid, and into the cloud, this is your community. Join us!