Featured Article from Software Monetization
SafeNet Redefines Software Monetization with Cloud-based Approach to On-Premise Software Licensing and Management
If you thought that cloud-based, state-of-the-art software monetization was only available to independent software vendors (ISVs) delivering cloud-based services, guess again. SafeNet (News - Alert), which has pioneered new ways for ISVs to keep track of their intellectual property, from creation to cash, has extended its award-winning Sentinel Cloud software licensing and entitlement management service to support applications delivered on-premise. This is good news for ISVs in terms of options they now have to manage their businesses in a cost-effective and secure manner.
The enhancements to Sentinel Cloud enable software publishers to leverage cloud-based, user-centric licensing, management and reporting techniques to monetize on-premise and hybrid software portfolios for the first time. It provides ISVs with the ability to redefine or refine their business models and gain deep insights into how their products are being used, and it translates into two significant high-level benefits—improved end-user experiences and reduced expenses.
“The software industry is rapidly making its way to the cloud. This not only impacts how software applications are expected to be delivered but dramatically changes how enterprise and consumer end users alike expect software to be packaged, controlled, and maintained,” said Amy Konary, Research VP, Software Licensing and Provisioning, IDC (News - Alert). “For example, software usage is being increasingly associated with users as opposed to devices, consumption-based business models are the growing preference, and vendor-customer transparency is a must. These three things alone present a tremendous challenge for vendors leveraging traditional software pricing and licensing technologies.”
Easing ISV pain points
SafeNet’s cloud-based approach to software monetization for all products, regardless of whether they are being delivered as a service or for installation on premise, lets software publishers:
- Support Usage-based Pricing – Introduce consumption-based business models to win new business and stay competitive for on-premise and cloud-based applications.
- License Users, Not Hardware – Associate licenses and entitlements with users as opposed to machines for greater end-user mobility resulting in a better user experience.
- Take Control – Enjoy real-time remote control over licenses to improve customer support capabilities and accelerate marketing and sales activities.
- Get Smarter – Exploit detailed feature- and product-level usage tracking information to drive product and business decision-making processes.
- Embrace Virtualization – Deploy software within completely virtualized environments without any fear of duplication or misuse.
- Reduce IT Dependencies – Eliminate the need to install and manage license servers locally to remove IT costs and shorten implementation timelines.
“Analysts all agree that, for the next three to five years, hybrid product portfolios are going to dominate the software industry. This means that the lines are going to have to blur between on-premise and cloud licensing experiences as we know them today,” said Shlomo Weiss, vice president of Cloud Services, SafeNet. “Software publishers are going to be expected to deliver a cloud-like user experience for on-premise applications, and they are going to be reliant on their vendors to make management of hybrid portfolios as easy as possible. Sentinel Cloud does just that—it brings next-generation, cloud-based licensing techniques to on-premise software and simplifies hybrid software portfolio management.”
This is an instance where seeing is believing. In fact, SafeNet is confident that ISVs can dramatically change the way they deliver and monetize their software with Sentinel Cloud, and is offering a free trial to those who visit www.sentinelcloud.com.
A major trend for software businesses is the migration toward service delivery via the cloud to improve operational efficiency and effectiveness. These organizations need to have a reasoned migration path and need to determine what software should remain as on premise offerings and what should be delivered as SaaS (News - Alert).
The sky, in this case the cloud, does not have to be the limit. SafeNet’s Sentinel Cloud, by extending its utility to meet specific customer requirements, enables ISVs to enjoy the full benefits of cutting edge software licensing and monetization capabilities for hybrid software portfolios.
Software Monetization eBooks
Featured Case Studies
- Apollo Communications Protects its Intellectual Property and Enforces Software Licensing with Gemalto Sentinel
- Cadac Group Cuts Operational Expenses & Gains Licensing Flexibility with Gemalto Sentinel
- Sentinel LDK Assures Revenue, Expands Licensing Flexibility, and Reduces System Management Costs for CAD Software Company
- Softing Industrial Automation Works with Gemalto Sentinel to Monetize the IoT
- Miko Maximizes Software Revenue & Reduces Operational Expenses with Gemalto Sentinel
- Xsens Technologies Streamlines Operations & Expands Revenue with Sentinel
- Structural Test and Monitoring Software Protected by Sentinel Integrated with NI LabVIEW
- Seize the IoT Opportunity
- Format International Replaces Inflexible Software Protection and Licensing Dongles with Sentinel LDK with EMS
- Envitrans Reduces Software Piracy & Expands Revenue with Sentinel LDK and Sentinel EMS Business Challenges
- Snell Protects Valuable IP and Streamlines Licensing Operations with Sentinel RMS & EMS
- Following Several Acquisitions, Sage Implements Sentinel RMS to Harmonize a Multitude of Disparate Licensing Systems- existing on site now
- With SafeNet Sentinel, AEOL Protects their Market-leading Training Software while Driving Back-office Efficiencies- existing on site now
Featured White Papers
- Frost & Sullivan - Penny Wise, Pound Foolish: The Fallacies of Choosing to Build vs Buy a Software Monetization System
- NEW! Frost & Sullivan - Competitive Analysis of the Software Licensing and Monetization Market
- NEW! IDC Cloud-Based Software Adoption Delivering Value to Customers
- Frost & Sullivan - Get Connected to Profit: Embracing Software Propels Growth in IoT Era
- More Variety with Less Cost: Using Software Features to Achieve Product Differentiation
- Monetizing the IoT: Show Me the Money: A Grey Heron white paper sponsored by Gemalto
- Cloud-Based Software Licensing - A THINKstrategies white paper: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitiveness
- Consolidating Software Licensing Technologies Post M & A: A survival guide for software publishers & intelligent device manufacturers
- 5 Tips for Software Monetization in the IoT
- IDC Supporting Software Business Transformation with Systems Designed for the Task
- How to Achieve a Cloud-Connected Experience Using On-Premise Applications
- IDC Meeting Customer and Business Needs in a Changing Market
- NEW! Cloud-Based Software Licensing: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Pricing Model Flexibility as a Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Monetizing IoT - Show me the Money
- NEW! Monetization Strategies and Technologies to Future-proof Your Business