Featured Article from Software Monetization
What is Embedded Licensing?
Today’s embedded appliances are rapidly shifting to architectures that combine standardized hardware with sophisticated software. And this sophisticated software is not immune to the challenges faced by software-only manufacturers. The intellectual property of the software embedded within standardized hardware is just as vulnerable to counterfeiting, piracy, and device tampering. And as this software can contribute to the company’s revenue stream, it is important that intelligent hardware manufacturers understand the software requires a new product pricing, packaging, and management strategy then typically applied to a traditional hardware business.
The software that runs the embedded system is often one of the most valuable aspects of the embedded system. This is transforming hardware vendors into software vendors, and protecting the software that runs embedded systems is becoming more and more critical.
Embedded licensing is software licensing and entitlement management that protects the software that runs embedded systems. If embedded licensing is not in place, stolen code can end up in the hands of competitors and be used for “knock-off” versions of a similar product. Better to protect the software and license it appropriately.
Usage enforcement, copy protection and theft prevention can guard against these threats, but they are only the first step toward unlocking the potential value of source code. Ultimately, monetization of embedded software and intellectual property is the goal.
To effectively monetize embedded software, companies must leverage the four aspects of a successful software monetization strategy: access and usage control, flexible packaging, process management, and product usage tracking.
A comprehensive embedded software monetization strategy will provide protection from IP theft, tampering, and reverse-engineering; prevention of unauthorized product use and distribution; and enablement of feature-level device packaging and control.
With embedded licensing, device manufacturers can simultaneously offer a better customer experience and a more profitable solution. An effective embedded software monetization strategy will allow for increased revenue, preserve product and brand integrity, protect intellectual property, reduce operational costs, and enhance the customer experience.
One of the leaders in embedded licensing and entitlement solutions is SafeNet (News - Alert). Its Sentinel Fit Embedded solution is a low-footprint, highly portable version of SafeNet’s industry-proven enterprise software licensing toolkit, Sentinel RMS. It is designed specifically for the memory-constrained environments typically faced by embedded developers, and it allows device and equipment manufacturers to protect, price, package, track and manage the software powering their embedded devices according to market needs.
Edited by Peter Bernstein
Software Monetization eBooks
Featured Case Studies
- Apollo Communications Protects its Intellectual Property and Enforces Software Licensing with Gemalto Sentinel
- Cadac Group Cuts Operational Expenses & Gains Licensing Flexibility with Gemalto Sentinel
- Sentinel LDK Assures Revenue, Expands Licensing Flexibility, and Reduces System Management Costs for CAD Software Company
- Softing Industrial Automation Works with Gemalto Sentinel to Monetize the IoT
- Miko Maximizes Software Revenue & Reduces Operational Expenses with Gemalto Sentinel
- Xsens Technologies Streamlines Operations & Expands Revenue with Sentinel
- Structural Test and Monitoring Software Protected by Sentinel Integrated with NI LabVIEW
- Seize the IoT Opportunity
- Format International Replaces Inflexible Software Protection and Licensing Dongles with Sentinel LDK with EMS
- Envitrans Reduces Software Piracy & Expands Revenue with Sentinel LDK and Sentinel EMS Business Challenges
- Snell Protects Valuable IP and Streamlines Licensing Operations with Sentinel RMS & EMS
- Following Several Acquisitions, Sage Implements Sentinel RMS to Harmonize a Multitude of Disparate Licensing Systems- existing on site now
- With SafeNet Sentinel, AEOL Protects their Market-leading Training Software while Driving Back-office Efficiencies- existing on site now
Featured White Papers
- Frost & Sullivan - Penny Wise, Pound Foolish: The Fallacies of Choosing to Build vs Buy a Software Monetization System
- NEW! Frost & Sullivan - Competitive Analysis of the Software Licensing and Monetization Market
- NEW! IDC Cloud-Based Software Adoption Delivering Value to Customers
- Frost & Sullivan - Get Connected to Profit: Embracing Software Propels Growth in IoT Era
- More Variety with Less Cost: Using Software Features to Achieve Product Differentiation
- Monetizing the IoT: Show Me the Money: A Grey Heron white paper sponsored by Gemalto
- Cloud-Based Software Licensing - A THINKstrategies white paper: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitiveness
- Consolidating Software Licensing Technologies Post M & A: A survival guide for software publishers & intelligent device manufacturers
- 5 Tips for Software Monetization in the IoT
- IDC Supporting Software Business Transformation with Systems Designed for the Task
- How to Achieve a Cloud-Connected Experience Using On-Premise Applications
- IDC Meeting Customer and Business Needs in a Changing Market
- NEW! Cloud-Based Software Licensing: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Pricing Model Flexibility as a Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Monetizing IoT - Show me the Money
- NEW! Monetization Strategies and Technologies to Future-proof Your Business