Featured Article from Software Monetization
Getting Executive Buy-In for a Software Monetization Solution
In today’s business environment, where tight budgets are the rule and the competition for resources is fierce, how do you secure executive buy-in for a software monetization solution? I ask this question because I recently read an insightful blog by Shlomo Weiss, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Software Monetization at Gemalto (formerly SafeNet). Weiss chooses Aesop’s fable The Grasshopper and the Ant to illustrate his point: “Beware of winter before it comes.” Put another way, good things happen to those who plan!
In his article, Weiss provides some very useful information for software monetization champions who are looking to get executive buy-in for a software monetization solution. He explains that you should take into consideration the shortcomings of your current homegrown licensing solution, but not focus solely on those issues. You’ll have more success if you talk about the areas where software monetization will improve operations and add significant value to the business. Talk about how collecting detailed usage data as part of the software monetization solution will allow you to track how your products are being used by your customers, making it possible for product management to create better products and deliver new business models. What C-level executive doesn’t want to know more about their customer, extend the product lifecycle, and generate more revenue?
Weiss also points out that the pitch to the executive shouldn’t be about beating your competition, but rather about gaining a competitive advantage by implementing a software monetization solution. Improving back-office operations and providing your customers with the ability to get what they need when they need it will increase customer satisfaction and reduce support calls.
Weiss makes the point that by taking a more holistic approach to software monetization, you’ll be able to highlight both valuable and significant advantages to the business. It’s not just about licensing and protection anymore, nor is it an all-or-nothing proposition. You can start with the software monetization elements you want and add functionality as needed. This allows for growth and increased operational efficiencies that protect your initial investment in a software monetization solution.
If these last suggestions from Weiss do not provide you with the incentive you need to get executive buy-in, this last point will. A complete software monetization solution will empower you to retain and attract new customers, reach new markets, and safeguard existing revenue. Weiss takes it a step further, stating that all businesses today share the same critical need to gain a competitive advantage and minimize the risk of obsolescence through future-proofing. Needless to say, C-levels appreciate the ability to maximize all revenue opportunities.
Weiss concludes that when it comes to implementing a software monetization solution, it’s much easier for ISVs to turn to an industry leader like Gemalto (formerly SafeNet) than go it alone. Having accumulated best practices and tips over many years and many implementations, Gemalto (News - Alert) has the know-how to help drastically improve operational efficiency.
Weiss references the recent work Gemalto did on a customized licensing portal for HP. Their requirement was to provide a way to deliver licensing for 70,000 products and 3,500,000 entitlements quickly and easily and in keeping with their unique HP end-user experience. With the customized licensing portal Gemalto designed, they were able to increase customer satisfaction immediately.
Furthermore, Gemalto’s accumulated software monetization knowledge allowed HP to provide self-service licensing operations and significantly reduce TCO. In addition, HP realized significant added value for their Customer Care team as they can now extract customer intelligence and process information in real time. This is something that will help HP to greatly enhance the customer experience, now and in the future.
Weiss offers a parting thought that’s worth noting: if you plan broadly, mitigate risk, and measure success, you won’t end up like the grasshopper in Aesop’s fable.
Edited by Stefania Viscusi
Software Monetization eBooks
Featured Case Studies
- Apollo Communications Protects its Intellectual Property and Enforces Software Licensing with Gemalto Sentinel
- Cadac Group Cuts Operational Expenses & Gains Licensing Flexibility with Gemalto Sentinel
- Sentinel LDK Assures Revenue, Expands Licensing Flexibility, and Reduces System Management Costs for CAD Software Company
- Softing Industrial Automation Works with Gemalto Sentinel to Monetize the IoT
- Miko Maximizes Software Revenue & Reduces Operational Expenses with Gemalto Sentinel
- Xsens Technologies Streamlines Operations & Expands Revenue with Sentinel
- Structural Test and Monitoring Software Protected by Sentinel Integrated with NI LabVIEW
- Seize the IoT Opportunity
- Format International Replaces Inflexible Software Protection and Licensing Dongles with Sentinel LDK with EMS
- Envitrans Reduces Software Piracy & Expands Revenue with Sentinel LDK and Sentinel EMS Business Challenges
- Snell Protects Valuable IP and Streamlines Licensing Operations with Sentinel RMS & EMS
- Following Several Acquisitions, Sage Implements Sentinel RMS to Harmonize a Multitude of Disparate Licensing Systems- existing on site now
- With SafeNet Sentinel, AEOL Protects their Market-leading Training Software while Driving Back-office Efficiencies- existing on site now
Featured White Papers
- Frost & Sullivan - Penny Wise, Pound Foolish: The Fallacies of Choosing to Build vs Buy a Software Monetization System
- NEW! Frost & Sullivan - Competitive Analysis of the Software Licensing and Monetization Market
- NEW! IDC Cloud-Based Software Adoption Delivering Value to Customers
- Frost & Sullivan - Get Connected to Profit: Embracing Software Propels Growth in IoT Era
- More Variety with Less Cost: Using Software Features to Achieve Product Differentiation
- Monetizing the IoT: Show Me the Money: A Grey Heron white paper sponsored by Gemalto
- Cloud-Based Software Licensing - A THINKstrategies white paper: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitiveness
- Consolidating Software Licensing Technologies Post M & A: A survival guide for software publishers & intelligent device manufacturers
- 5 Tips for Software Monetization in the IoT
- IDC Supporting Software Business Transformation with Systems Designed for the Task
- How to Achieve a Cloud-Connected Experience Using On-Premise Applications
- IDC Meeting Customer and Business Needs in a Changing Market
- NEW! Cloud-Based Software Licensing: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Pricing Model Flexibility as a Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Monetizing IoT - Show me the Money
- NEW! Monetization Strategies and Technologies to Future-proof Your Business