Featured Article from Software Monetization
Using Software Features and Functionality to Differentiate Products
Cloud, virtualization, mobility, and the Internet of Things (IoT) are causing disruptions and transformation. The most important aspect driving transportation is software and that’s due to the flexibility software provides in defining features to differentiate products. Regardless of the vertical market but in particular, traditional hardware-based businesses, the next generation value is going to be created and sustained by the software. This includes the software that runs the hardware, and increasingly, the information the embedded software generates. Recently, Juniper Networks spoke at a webinar with IDC where they talked about just that and described how the adoption of software has transformed their business from shipping boxes to delivering software-driven value to their customers.
The future of software monetization will also apply to monetizing the extracted data and with that will come the additional value of gleaning insight from this data to take action and design better products and services that your customers want. In addition to understanding what your customer’s likes or dislikes are, you will be able to track their behavior, gaining valuable insight on how companies will be able to differentiable themselves and sustain their value.
The need to change direction and focus for hardware vendors is worth highlighting on several scores. First, from an R&D prospective, the trend in the last few years has been an accelerating investment in software. Secondly, research demonstrates that hardware companies that become more software-centric, and implement a state-of-the-art software licensing and entitlement management systems, will outperform their competitors.
The reason for the latter is that with a software monetization strategy, hardware manufacturers that embrace the transition from shipping boxes to delivering value through software will be more agile to market and fast in responding to marketing requirements. These companies will be able to deliver a myriad of pricing models, reduce their costs and be able to leverage the visibility they gain into their product usage data to respond quickly to market needs with new packaging to attract new customers and strengthen the relationship with their existing customers.
The challenges involved in making a successful transformation from hardware to software-based value are substantial. However, not “mission impossible.” Great software monetization solutions for enabling the business transformation exist. In fact, a useful resource on how to take full advantage of the move to a software-based world is the recent Gemalto (News - Alert) white paper, More Variety with Less Cost: Using Software Features to Achieve Product Differentiation.
The paper covers in detail how and why device manufacturers understand the urgency of transforming themselves into software-based services companies and how the old ways of doing business, by selling hardware devices only, are no longer the path to success. Indeed, failure to accommodate change is rapidly becoming a recipe for failure. It also describes the power of such transformations to create sustainable differentiated value now and going forward. And, it emphasizes why the tools, methodologies and support provided in the Gemalto Sentinel Software Monetization portfolio have been designed for device vendors to optimize the value of their software, protect their intellectual property and be in a position to create compelling experiences for customers that can meet or exceed expectations.
There is an alternative for turning what may seem mission impossible into success.
Edited by Alicia Young
Software Monetization eBooks
Featured Case Studies
- Apollo Communications Protects its Intellectual Property and Enforces Software Licensing with Gemalto Sentinel
- Cadac Group Cuts Operational Expenses & Gains Licensing Flexibility with Gemalto Sentinel
- Sentinel LDK Assures Revenue, Expands Licensing Flexibility, and Reduces System Management Costs for CAD Software Company
- Softing Industrial Automation Works with Gemalto Sentinel to Monetize the IoT
- Miko Maximizes Software Revenue & Reduces Operational Expenses with Gemalto Sentinel
- Xsens Technologies Streamlines Operations & Expands Revenue with Sentinel
- Structural Test and Monitoring Software Protected by Sentinel Integrated with NI LabVIEW
- Seize the IoT Opportunity
- Format International Replaces Inflexible Software Protection and Licensing Dongles with Sentinel LDK with EMS
- Envitrans Reduces Software Piracy & Expands Revenue with Sentinel LDK and Sentinel EMS Business Challenges
- Snell Protects Valuable IP and Streamlines Licensing Operations with Sentinel RMS & EMS
- Following Several Acquisitions, Sage Implements Sentinel RMS to Harmonize a Multitude of Disparate Licensing Systems- existing on site now
- With SafeNet Sentinel, AEOL Protects their Market-leading Training Software while Driving Back-office Efficiencies- existing on site now
Featured White Papers
- Frost & Sullivan - Penny Wise, Pound Foolish: The Fallacies of Choosing to Build vs Buy a Software Monetization System
- NEW! Frost & Sullivan - Competitive Analysis of the Software Licensing and Monetization Market
- NEW! IDC Cloud-Based Software Adoption Delivering Value to Customers
- Frost & Sullivan - Get Connected to Profit: Embracing Software Propels Growth in IoT Era
- More Variety with Less Cost: Using Software Features to Achieve Product Differentiation
- Monetizing the IoT: Show Me the Money: A Grey Heron white paper sponsored by Gemalto
- Cloud-Based Software Licensing - A THINKstrategies white paper: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitiveness
- Consolidating Software Licensing Technologies Post M & A: A survival guide for software publishers & intelligent device manufacturers
- 5 Tips for Software Monetization in the IoT
- IDC Supporting Software Business Transformation with Systems Designed for the Task
- How to Achieve a Cloud-Connected Experience Using On-Premise Applications
- IDC Meeting Customer and Business Needs in a Changing Market
- NEW! Cloud-Based Software Licensing: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Pricing Model Flexibility as a Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Monetizing IoT - Show me the Money
- NEW! Monetization Strategies and Technologies to Future-proof Your Business