Featured Article from Software Monetization
Which Comes First - Product or Price in Software Monetization?
Getting the most value out of your software development is always a challenge in software monetization. In an economy where the focus is on leveraging cloud-based solutions, the opportunity for sustainable revenue is definitely there, as long as your strategy supports the focus.
In reality, however, the focus on the cloud is not the only variable that is affecting software monetization. A study of the market is essential, but one thought leader also suggests that you design the product around the price. Madhavan Ramanujam of Simon-Kucher & Partners is a pricing and monetization expert. His research suggests the goal should be to build the product around the price if you hope to optimize software monetization opportunities.
While Ramanujam has learned from the more than 10,000 different projects Simon-Kucher has undertaken for companies throughout the world, there is a core belief within the software monetization strategy that products and solutions need to be designed purely around things that customers place true and tangible value on. While this concept is one that makes a lot of sense, it is definitely much easier said than done, as highlighted in this Licensing Live blog.
Throughout the market, innovations in products and services tend to have a 70 percent failure rate, meaning the companies either miss their revenue and profit goals or the they simply fail completely. Ramanujam’s rules are expected to have a significant impact on helping software companies to fully extract value from their products and services, while enabling customers to do the same.
Not sure how this would look in real-world applications? Ramanujam hasn’t kept the concept a secret and even without these insights, companies seeking software monetization are doing so with this method. Some of the biggest brands in the world, for instance, have applied these rules and reaped the benefit. Companies like LinkedIn (News - Alert), Porsche and Uber have all leveraged the strategy of designing the product around the price and enjoyed significant profitability as a result.
Companies seeking to bring to market a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS (News - Alert)) offering or software monetization for embedded solutions within their hardware products stand to benefit from this approach. With the market rapidly moving towards cloud computing, and the Internet of Things and machine-to-machine capabilities gaining ground, the opportunity to leverage a proven strategy in monetization is here. Taking advantage of the right approach ensures revenue and drives the ultimate value.
Edited by Stefania Viscusi
Software Monetization eBooks
Featured Case Studies
- Apollo Communications Protects its Intellectual Property and Enforces Software Licensing with Gemalto Sentinel
- Cadac Group Cuts Operational Expenses & Gains Licensing Flexibility with Gemalto Sentinel
- Sentinel LDK Assures Revenue, Expands Licensing Flexibility, and Reduces System Management Costs for CAD Software Company
- Softing Industrial Automation Works with Gemalto Sentinel to Monetize the IoT
- Miko Maximizes Software Revenue & Reduces Operational Expenses with Gemalto Sentinel
- Xsens Technologies Streamlines Operations & Expands Revenue with Sentinel
- Structural Test and Monitoring Software Protected by Sentinel Integrated with NI LabVIEW
- Seize the IoT Opportunity
- Format International Replaces Inflexible Software Protection and Licensing Dongles with Sentinel LDK with EMS
- Envitrans Reduces Software Piracy & Expands Revenue with Sentinel LDK and Sentinel EMS Business Challenges
- Snell Protects Valuable IP and Streamlines Licensing Operations with Sentinel RMS & EMS
- Following Several Acquisitions, Sage Implements Sentinel RMS to Harmonize a Multitude of Disparate Licensing Systems- existing on site now
- With SafeNet Sentinel, AEOL Protects their Market-leading Training Software while Driving Back-office Efficiencies- existing on site now
Featured White Papers
- Frost & Sullivan - Penny Wise, Pound Foolish: The Fallacies of Choosing to Build vs Buy a Software Monetization System
- NEW! Frost & Sullivan - Competitive Analysis of the Software Licensing and Monetization Market
- NEW! IDC Cloud-Based Software Adoption Delivering Value to Customers
- Frost & Sullivan - Get Connected to Profit: Embracing Software Propels Growth in IoT Era
- More Variety with Less Cost: Using Software Features to Achieve Product Differentiation
- Monetizing the IoT: Show Me the Money: A Grey Heron white paper sponsored by Gemalto
- Cloud-Based Software Licensing - A THINKstrategies white paper: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitiveness
- Consolidating Software Licensing Technologies Post M & A: A survival guide for software publishers & intelligent device manufacturers
- 5 Tips for Software Monetization in the IoT
- IDC Supporting Software Business Transformation with Systems Designed for the Task
- How to Achieve a Cloud-Connected Experience Using On-Premise Applications
- IDC Meeting Customer and Business Needs in a Changing Market
- NEW! Cloud-Based Software Licensing: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Pricing Model Flexibility as a Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Monetizing IoT - Show me the Money
- NEW! Monetization Strategies and Technologies to Future-proof Your Business