Featured Article from Software Monetization
How Medical Manufacturers Can Benefit from the On-Demand Trend
Businesses across a range of verticals are moving from one-time product sales to on-demand, usage-based models. Software companies were first to embrace this new model, and now other businesses – like medical device manufacturers – are waking up to the benefits of recurring revenue models.
This new model is an attractive one to medical device manufacturers given the many challenges they face in today’s marketplace.
For example, their customers – doctors’ offices, hospitals, and imaging centers – are experiencing budget constraints, says Persky. Paying for the use of equipment as they need it rather than investing in medical equipment upfront enables them to preserve as much cash as possible, she notes.
Another market reality is that the lifecycle of medical equipment is getting shorter, Persky adds. That said, it’s increasingly difficult for hospitals and other health care entities to justify a large spend in such gear.
At the same time, the manufacturers of that gear need to differentiate themselves in what has become a commodity market. Indeed, they want to lock in their customers, lock out competitors, and enjoy more predictable revenue streams. Offering on-demand services, providing preventive maintenance, and leveraging the connected nature of their devices to better understand customer usage and behavior so they can more effectively design future products, can help manufactures do that, she says.
“To improve product design decisions, medical equipment manufacturers must gain insight into how products are deployed and which features are used most frequently,” says Pesky. “Using embedded software monetization technology will enable medical vendors to provide full visibility into their existing customer base from start to finish.”
As a result, she adds, manufacturers can better assess the value of a product and its various features, and can better understand how that should inform pricing.
Embedded software monetization technology can also enable manufacturers of medical equipment – or, for that matter, of any equipment – to more easily offer different versions of their products at different price points and for various audiences. For example, a manufacturer could ship a product with limited functionality at a lower price point and have the ability to add new revenue-generating capabilities to it remotely later on.
As for preventive maintenance, it can enable medical manufacturers to meld the worlds of single-product sales with recurring revenues. That would involve a company selling a product that has the ability to alert the manufacturer and/or customer when the device is due for maintenance. And, Persky notes, the manufacturer could stipulate that the (revenue-generating) maintenance service can only be provided by its own dedicated technicians.
Edited by Stefania Viscusi
Software Monetization eBooks
Featured Case Studies
- Apollo Communications Protects its Intellectual Property and Enforces Software Licensing with Gemalto Sentinel
- Cadac Group Cuts Operational Expenses & Gains Licensing Flexibility with Gemalto Sentinel
- Sentinel LDK Assures Revenue, Expands Licensing Flexibility, and Reduces System Management Costs for CAD Software Company
- Softing Industrial Automation Works with Gemalto Sentinel to Monetize the IoT
- Miko Maximizes Software Revenue & Reduces Operational Expenses with Gemalto Sentinel
- Xsens Technologies Streamlines Operations & Expands Revenue with Sentinel
- Structural Test and Monitoring Software Protected by Sentinel Integrated with NI LabVIEW
- Seize the IoT Opportunity
- Format International Replaces Inflexible Software Protection and Licensing Dongles with Sentinel LDK with EMS
- Envitrans Reduces Software Piracy & Expands Revenue with Sentinel LDK and Sentinel EMS Business Challenges
- Snell Protects Valuable IP and Streamlines Licensing Operations with Sentinel RMS & EMS
- Following Several Acquisitions, Sage Implements Sentinel RMS to Harmonize a Multitude of Disparate Licensing Systems- existing on site now
- With SafeNet Sentinel, AEOL Protects their Market-leading Training Software while Driving Back-office Efficiencies- existing on site now
Featured White Papers
- Frost & Sullivan - Penny Wise, Pound Foolish: The Fallacies of Choosing to Build vs Buy a Software Monetization System
- NEW! Frost & Sullivan - Competitive Analysis of the Software Licensing and Monetization Market
- NEW! IDC Cloud-Based Software Adoption Delivering Value to Customers
- Frost & Sullivan - Get Connected to Profit: Embracing Software Propels Growth in IoT Era
- More Variety with Less Cost: Using Software Features to Achieve Product Differentiation
- Monetizing the IoT: Show Me the Money: A Grey Heron white paper sponsored by Gemalto
- Cloud-Based Software Licensing - A THINKstrategies white paper: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitiveness
- Consolidating Software Licensing Technologies Post M & A: A survival guide for software publishers & intelligent device manufacturers
- 5 Tips for Software Monetization in the IoT
- IDC Supporting Software Business Transformation with Systems Designed for the Task
- How to Achieve a Cloud-Connected Experience Using On-Premise Applications
- IDC Meeting Customer and Business Needs in a Changing Market
- NEW! Cloud-Based Software Licensing: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Pricing Model Flexibility as a Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Monetizing IoT - Show me the Money
- NEW! Monetization Strategies and Technologies to Future-proof Your Business