Featured Article from Software Monetization
Understanding the Critical Difference Between Software Licensing and Entitlement Management
Software licensing is a tricky business these days. The plethora of third-party applications and services and subscription and on-demand delivery and monetization models have only served to complicate matters. One of the biggest challenges for any business today is ensuring contractual compliance when using third-party software and services.
Ensuring compliance can be complex and confusing, and one of the first steps any company should take is to determine the difference between software licenses and entitlements, as well as the management and monetization issues surrounding them. According to a recent LicensingLIve! blog post from Gemalto (News - Alert), a company specializing in digital security, this distinction is the catalyst for understanding when corporate software assets are in compliance and being properly and fully utilized.
Licensing typically refers to the process of granting a customer the right to use a specific piece of software. It includes terms and conditions that define how that software may be legally used. However, to enforce software licenses requires legal recourse, which is usually a last resort for any organization.
For companies that want to ensure that their software licenses are being used correctly, and by the proper people and in the proper places, entitlements and entitlement management are necessary. This entitlement management system assigns rights to specific recipients and goes on to manage usage among those recipients. The system also offers granular control over rights to use a license and, subsequently, a piece of software. A company may also use entitlement management to resolve, enforce or revoke entitlements and to manage and enforce access policies for data, devices and services.
Any company working with third-party software absolutely needs to understand the nuances of licensing and entitlement management. Failure to do so could result in costly fines and penalties for misuse of software and services, or at a minimum, failure to glean the most value out of software investments.
For additional information about software licensing, management and monetization, visit LicensingLive’s Software Monetization 101 series of informational posts.
Software Monetization eBooks
Featured Case Studies
- Apollo Communications Protects its Intellectual Property and Enforces Software Licensing with Gemalto Sentinel
- Cadac Group Cuts Operational Expenses & Gains Licensing Flexibility with Gemalto Sentinel
- Sentinel LDK Assures Revenue, Expands Licensing Flexibility, and Reduces System Management Costs for CAD Software Company
- Softing Industrial Automation Works with Gemalto Sentinel to Monetize the IoT
- Miko Maximizes Software Revenue & Reduces Operational Expenses with Gemalto Sentinel
- Xsens Technologies Streamlines Operations & Expands Revenue with Sentinel
- Structural Test and Monitoring Software Protected by Sentinel Integrated with NI LabVIEW
- Seize the IoT Opportunity
- Format International Replaces Inflexible Software Protection and Licensing Dongles with Sentinel LDK with EMS
- Envitrans Reduces Software Piracy & Expands Revenue with Sentinel LDK and Sentinel EMS Business Challenges
- Snell Protects Valuable IP and Streamlines Licensing Operations with Sentinel RMS & EMS
- Following Several Acquisitions, Sage Implements Sentinel RMS to Harmonize a Multitude of Disparate Licensing Systems- existing on site now
- With SafeNet Sentinel, AEOL Protects their Market-leading Training Software while Driving Back-office Efficiencies- existing on site now
Featured White Papers
- Frost & Sullivan - Penny Wise, Pound Foolish: The Fallacies of Choosing to Build vs Buy a Software Monetization System
- NEW! Frost & Sullivan - Competitive Analysis of the Software Licensing and Monetization Market
- NEW! IDC Cloud-Based Software Adoption Delivering Value to Customers
- Frost & Sullivan - Get Connected to Profit: Embracing Software Propels Growth in IoT Era
- More Variety with Less Cost: Using Software Features to Achieve Product Differentiation
- Monetizing the IoT: Show Me the Money: A Grey Heron white paper sponsored by Gemalto
- Cloud-Based Software Licensing - A THINKstrategies white paper: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitiveness
- Consolidating Software Licensing Technologies Post M & A: A survival guide for software publishers & intelligent device manufacturers
- 5 Tips for Software Monetization in the IoT
- IDC Supporting Software Business Transformation with Systems Designed for the Task
- How to Achieve a Cloud-Connected Experience Using On-Premise Applications
- IDC Meeting Customer and Business Needs in a Changing Market
- NEW! Cloud-Based Software Licensing: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Pricing Model Flexibility as a Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Monetizing IoT - Show me the Money
- NEW! Monetization Strategies and Technologies to Future-proof Your Business