What is Software Monetization?
What Exactly Is Software Monetization?
You may not have heard of the term Software Monetization before or maybe you have but are unsure of what it means. Most likely you are already embracing software monetization but you refer to it as licensing.
For many software vendors, monetization simply means collecting revenue by selling rights to use the software that they developed and protecting their valuable code. In this case monetization challenges revolve around protecting the revenue stream and defending themselves from piracy, theft, reverse-engineering, and misuse of software. But, monetization goes beyond just protecting revenue and involves enabling and sustaining revenue growth. With the adoption of cloud computing, virtualization, advancements in mobile technology and greater end user expectations for a great experience are forcing companies to change the way that they engage with their end users. For example, today’s end users want to do business with companies that provide them flexible licensing models (such as pay-per-use, user-centric, subscription), and provide a great experience and service- anytime, anywhere. In the post-sale economy, the relationship with the end user doesn’t end when the order is placed. As a market leader, your customers expect to be delighted and they expect that their interactions with your company will be simpler, faster and more intimate.
Latest Articles from Software Monetization
Software license and entitlement management solutions are designed to simplify many of the time-intensive tasks associated with software entitlement. This simple calculator helps determine software monetization by determining the ROI of using a solution.
Software Monetization solutions provider Gemalto is hosting special "Lunch & Learn" sessions to help companies with crossing the licensing chasm and speaking with attendees about how to transition to a recurring revenue model while they enjoy lunch and network.
Gemalto's Sentinel Workshops are an important part of the company's three-tier approach to custom consulting services. Services are designed to enhance, guide and manage customer deployments of Gemalto software licensing and monetization solutions.
During a recent webinar, Dr. Mohamad Zaki of the University of Cambridge joined Gemalto to discuss what servitization is and why manufacturers should care.
With the proper tools and technologies, businesses can undergo a seamless and successful transition to a recurring revenue model to glean the most value out of their software- and subscription-based offerings.
Trimble Navigation is working with Gemalto as the company moves from a hardware focus to software-based offerings. As Trimble transitions to a SaaS and subscription model for many of its offerings, the company is steadily transforming its licensing and revenue model to keep pace.
There are many challenges involved when transitioning to a recurring revenue model but with the proper analysis and planning, companies can better monetize their software and solutions by transitioning their revenue models.
Software Monetization Featured Industry News
InsPro Technologies Named to Software Magazine's 34th Annual Software 500 Ranking3/22/2017 11:01:31 AM
Cheetah Mobile Announces Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2016 Unaudited Consolidated Financial Results3/21/2017 7:11:55 AM
Gemalto's HSM enables Microsoft Azure Information Protection customers to maintain full control of encryption keys3/21/2017 2:02:48 AM
Merkle Launches Merkle Innovation Cloud3/14/2017 9:32:17 AM
Software Monetization eBooks
Featured Case Studies
- Apollo Communications Protects its Intellectual Property and Enforces Software Licensing with Gemalto Sentinel
- Cadac Group Cuts Operational Expenses & Gains Licensing Flexibility with Gemalto Sentinel
- Sentinel LDK Assures Revenue, Expands Licensing Flexibility, and Reduces System Management Costs for CAD Software Company
- Softing Industrial Automation Works with Gemalto Sentinel to Monetize the IoT
- Miko Maximizes Software Revenue & Reduces Operational Expenses with Gemalto Sentinel
- Xsens Technologies Streamlines Operations & Expands Revenue with Sentinel
- Structural Test and Monitoring Software Protected by Sentinel Integrated with NI LabVIEW
- Seize the IoT Opportunity
- Format International Replaces Inflexible Software Protection and Licensing Dongles with Sentinel LDK with EMS
- Envitrans Reduces Software Piracy & Expands Revenue with Sentinel LDK and Sentinel EMS Business Challenges
- Snell Protects Valuable IP and Streamlines Licensing Operations with Sentinel RMS & EMS
- Following Several Acquisitions, Sage Implements Sentinel RMS to Harmonize a Multitude of Disparate Licensing Systems- existing on site now
- With SafeNet Sentinel, AEOL Protects their Market-leading Training Software while Driving Back-office Efficiencies- existing on site now
Featured White Papers
- Frost & Sullivan - Penny Wise, Pound Foolish: The Fallacies of Choosing to Build vs Buy a Software Monetization System
- NEW! Frost & Sullivan - Competitive Analysis of the Software Licensing and Monetization Market
- NEW! IDC Cloud-Based Software Adoption Delivering Value to Customers
- Frost & Sullivan - Get Connected to Profit: Embracing Software Propels Growth in IoT Era
- More Variety with Less Cost: Using Software Features to Achieve Product Differentiation
- Monetizing the IoT: Show Me the Money: A Grey Heron white paper sponsored by Gemalto
- Cloud-Based Software Licensing - A THINKstrategies white paper: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitiveness
- Consolidating Software Licensing Technologies Post M & A: A survival guide for software publishers & intelligent device manufacturers
- 5 Tips for Software Monetization in the IoT
- IDC Supporting Software Business Transformation with Systems Designed for the Task
- How to Achieve a Cloud-Connected Experience Using On-Premise Applications
- IDC Meeting Customer and Business Needs in a Changing Market
- NEW! Cloud-Based Software Licensing: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Pricing Model Flexibility as a Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Monetizing IoT - Show me the Money
- NEW! Monetization Strategies and Technologies to Future-proof Your Business