Featured Article from Software Monetization
Best Practices for Platform Virtualization and Software Monetization
The term “virtualization” is ubiquitous in the IT industry, and is especially important to independent software vendors (ISVs) that face challenges in terms of licensing compliance. The term virtualization is used universally, and can refer to platforms, applications, networks, storage, memory, and other areas.
Virtualization is a hot topic today because of the many benefits it brings to organizations, including: reduced capital and operational costs; further reduced costs and environmental impact through green IT; more efficient testing/development and security; improved scalability and deployment agility; and high availability/redundancy.
While virtualization has many far-reaching implications, the area of platform virtualization is of particular concern to ISVs because of how it affects software licensing and automated software license enforcement, according to a recent SafeNet whitepaper. In the world of software vendors, virtualization can create a conflict when considering the interests of the software vendor, according to Amy Konary, research director for IDC (News - Alert).
“Software publishers that have not already begun addressing how to manage the licensing of their applications in virtual environments are behind the curve. The strategy should not only include support for licensing in virtual environments but also the ability to enforce license terms once the application is deployed on a virtual machine,” Konary said in the whitepaper. “Without enforcement, the software publisher has no control over the license and therefore their revenue.”
Clearly, licensing applications in a virtualized environment involves a different approach. Working with a software licensing and management technology vendor such as SafeNet (News - Alert) offers software vendors both hardware- and software-based options for licensing applications in any virtualized environment.
“Successful management of software requires not only support for licensing in virtual environments, but also the ability to enforce license terms once the application is deployed on a virtual machine,” according to the whitepaper.
SafeNet’s options for licensing applications in a virtualized environment allow you to:
- Protect revenue by preventing copy/duplication of applications in virtual environments;
- Reduce churn, secure new business, and improve competitive position by supporting use of your application(s) within virtual environments;
- Increase profit with licensing and pricing models for virtual environments.
SafeNet offers Sentinel Cloud, a software monetization service which enables software publishers to deploy their applications within completely virtualized environments without any fear of duplication or misuse. Sentinel Cloud frees software vendors from the headaches and a loophole associated with node locking-based solutions and allows them control:
- How many instances can concurrently be running inside a virtualized network
- How many uses of an application feature can be used across multiple virtualized instances of your application
- How many users can simultaneously be accessing any number of virtualized instances of the application.
In addition to virtualization, cloud computing has introduced a new set of complexities for businesses to manage, with more specific sets of challenges for different segments of the IT industry. Cloud is forcing ISVs into several arduous business challenges, including how to deliver software as a service (SaaS (News - Alert)) and deal with the issues of licensing and monetizing SaaS services.
Read more about this era of IT evolution, and how cloud is changing how software is developed, bought, sold, paid for, and used, which is having a transformative affect on how ISVs conduct business by clicking here.
Edited by Peter Bernstein
Software Monetization eBooks
Featured Case Studies
- Apollo Communications Protects its Intellectual Property and Enforces Software Licensing with Gemalto Sentinel
- Cadac Group Cuts Operational Expenses & Gains Licensing Flexibility with Gemalto Sentinel
- Sentinel LDK Assures Revenue, Expands Licensing Flexibility, and Reduces System Management Costs for CAD Software Company
- Softing Industrial Automation Works with Gemalto Sentinel to Monetize the IoT
- Miko Maximizes Software Revenue & Reduces Operational Expenses with Gemalto Sentinel
- Xsens Technologies Streamlines Operations & Expands Revenue with Sentinel
- Structural Test and Monitoring Software Protected by Sentinel Integrated with NI LabVIEW
- Seize the IoT Opportunity
- Format International Replaces Inflexible Software Protection and Licensing Dongles with Sentinel LDK with EMS
- Envitrans Reduces Software Piracy & Expands Revenue with Sentinel LDK and Sentinel EMS Business Challenges
- Snell Protects Valuable IP and Streamlines Licensing Operations with Sentinel RMS & EMS
- Following Several Acquisitions, Sage Implements Sentinel RMS to Harmonize a Multitude of Disparate Licensing Systems- existing on site now
- With SafeNet Sentinel, AEOL Protects their Market-leading Training Software while Driving Back-office Efficiencies- existing on site now
Featured White Papers
- Frost & Sullivan - Penny Wise, Pound Foolish: The Fallacies of Choosing to Build vs Buy a Software Monetization System
- NEW! Frost & Sullivan - Competitive Analysis of the Software Licensing and Monetization Market
- NEW! IDC Cloud-Based Software Adoption Delivering Value to Customers
- Frost & Sullivan - Get Connected to Profit: Embracing Software Propels Growth in IoT Era
- More Variety with Less Cost: Using Software Features to Achieve Product Differentiation
- Monetizing the IoT: Show Me the Money: A Grey Heron white paper sponsored by Gemalto
- Cloud-Based Software Licensing - A THINKstrategies white paper: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitiveness
- Consolidating Software Licensing Technologies Post M & A: A survival guide for software publishers & intelligent device manufacturers
- 5 Tips for Software Monetization in the IoT
- IDC Supporting Software Business Transformation with Systems Designed for the Task
- How to Achieve a Cloud-Connected Experience Using On-Premise Applications
- IDC Meeting Customer and Business Needs in a Changing Market
- NEW! Cloud-Based Software Licensing: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Pricing Model Flexibility as a Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Monetizing IoT - Show me the Money
- NEW! Monetization Strategies and Technologies to Future-proof Your Business