Featured Article from Software Monetization
High Tech Manufacturing is Transitioning to a Software-Based Model
High-tech manufacturing is in a period of transition as hardware-based businesses are shifting to a more software-based model. This is due largely to the influx of hardware solutions being based on off-the-shelf components. The software that runs the hardware is increasingly becoming the real point of differentiation.
This shift toward commoditized hardware is causing companies to base more of their business on software. It is a gradual process, but the transition is happening for many high-tech manufacturing companies, according to a recent white paper by SafeNet (News - Alert), Exploring the Business Model Evolution of High-Tech Equipment Manufacturers.
Evolving from an equipment manufacturer business model into a software company is typically a multi-phase process which begins with integrating solution-specific software alongside the current solution-specific hardware and then offering added value software packages in addition to the traditional hardware-based offering.
The move to a software-based business model will drive profits and give firms—that transition effectively—a competitive advantage. However, there are still significant challenges.
Intellectual property (IP) theft used to be complicated and involved reverse engineering and cloning of unique machine design. Now stealing IP is simply about being able to access and copy code making it difficult for companies to sustain competitive advantages.
Another challenge is finding a balance between maximizing profits from software investment, and expanding market share by offering solutions at different price points while reducing overhead by scaling back the number of different hardware and software configurations produced. This is becoming increasingly necessary as global competition continues to rise.
To overcome these challenges while transitioning from a hardware company to a software company, traditionally companies have integrated hardware-key solutions to provide off-the-shelf IP and copy protection.
“The licensing mechanism enables vendors to sell a range of products, based on a single codebase, and enables them to monetize the value-added features,” noted SafeNet. “The IP and copy protection mechanisms enable vendors to avoid cloning of their products, and thus maximize the life span of their competitive advantages.”
But, as the paper noted, the introduction of pure software-based solutions poses a challenge in that a company now must have both hardware-based and software-based licensing mechanisms. This adds complexity to the back-office systems and complexity to the licensing and security code that is embedded in shared software components. It results in increased maintenance and operational costs and lack of flexibility for changes to a company’s business model.
The solution is leveraging a similar licensing scheme for both hardware keys and software licenses.
“The more advanced platforms are designed to enable vendors to change from a hardware key to a software license, without changing their product code,” noted the SafeNet paper. “These modern platforms typically contain numerous business models out of the box, so that typically-complex licensing implementations can be spared.”
By using such a platform, a company has the ability to seamlessly progress through the transitional phases from a hardware and software business model to a purely software-based model.
“Equipment manufacturers that embrace this transition,” noted the paper, “will be more nimble and better positioned for the future.”
Sometimes transition can be good.
Edited by Peter Bernstein
Software Monetization eBooks
Featured Case Studies
- Apollo Communications Protects its Intellectual Property and Enforces Software Licensing with Gemalto Sentinel
- Cadac Group Cuts Operational Expenses & Gains Licensing Flexibility with Gemalto Sentinel
- Sentinel LDK Assures Revenue, Expands Licensing Flexibility, and Reduces System Management Costs for CAD Software Company
- Softing Industrial Automation Works with Gemalto Sentinel to Monetize the IoT
- Miko Maximizes Software Revenue & Reduces Operational Expenses with Gemalto Sentinel
- Xsens Technologies Streamlines Operations & Expands Revenue with Sentinel
- Structural Test and Monitoring Software Protected by Sentinel Integrated with NI LabVIEW
- Seize the IoT Opportunity
- Format International Replaces Inflexible Software Protection and Licensing Dongles with Sentinel LDK with EMS
- Envitrans Reduces Software Piracy & Expands Revenue with Sentinel LDK and Sentinel EMS Business Challenges
- Snell Protects Valuable IP and Streamlines Licensing Operations with Sentinel RMS & EMS
- Following Several Acquisitions, Sage Implements Sentinel RMS to Harmonize a Multitude of Disparate Licensing Systems- existing on site now
- With SafeNet Sentinel, AEOL Protects their Market-leading Training Software while Driving Back-office Efficiencies- existing on site now
Featured White Papers
- Frost & Sullivan - Penny Wise, Pound Foolish: The Fallacies of Choosing to Build vs Buy a Software Monetization System
- NEW! Frost & Sullivan - Competitive Analysis of the Software Licensing and Monetization Market
- NEW! IDC Cloud-Based Software Adoption Delivering Value to Customers
- Frost & Sullivan - Get Connected to Profit: Embracing Software Propels Growth in IoT Era
- More Variety with Less Cost: Using Software Features to Achieve Product Differentiation
- Monetizing the IoT: Show Me the Money: A Grey Heron white paper sponsored by Gemalto
- Cloud-Based Software Licensing - A THINKstrategies white paper: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitiveness
- Consolidating Software Licensing Technologies Post M & A: A survival guide for software publishers & intelligent device manufacturers
- 5 Tips for Software Monetization in the IoT
- IDC Supporting Software Business Transformation with Systems Designed for the Task
- How to Achieve a Cloud-Connected Experience Using On-Premise Applications
- IDC Meeting Customer and Business Needs in a Changing Market
- NEW! Cloud-Based Software Licensing: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Pricing Model Flexibility as a Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Monetizing IoT - Show me the Money
- NEW! Monetization Strategies and Technologies to Future-proof Your Business