Featured Article from Software Monetization
Licensing Live! The Present and Future of Software Monetization
Every year, I mark my calendar for Gemalto’s (formerly SafeNet’s (News - Alert)) Licensing Live! event. There are plenty of reasons for doing so, not least because I have the pleasure of being in the company of so many thought leaders all under one roof. Licensing Live! offers a unique opportunity to listen, network, and interact with subject matter experts, industry analysts, software executives, ecosystem partners, as well as Gemalto’s (News - Alert) software monetization customers. It also allows attendees the chance to take a sneak peek at upcoming trends, leverage best practices, and prepare for the software monetization challenges that their colleagues are already facing.
While I was fortunate enough to have been there in person, there’s good news for those of you who were unable to attend this year: the sessions have all been recorded and are available for you to watch online.
There’s no denying that the world is rapidly becoming software-centric. This is evident not only from our reliance on the software applications that run our personal devices, but also by the widespread adoption of “software a service” (SaaS (News - Alert)) among software companies.
The need for information – whether unstructured or delivered in sophisticated analytics reports – is a major factor in the transformation affecting hardware and device manufacturers. While having a cool app can certainly help them gain a competitive advantage and differentiate their products, there is an increasing need for software monetization strategies and solutions that enable businesses to deliver their service or leverage the data collected by their device. And there are other benefits too. Rather than limiting the sale of a device to a one-time occurrence, new features and functionality can now be added as they become available or as customers demand them, thereby creating an ongoing revenue stream.
As we move toward a connected world that’s loaded with information, hardware and device manufacturers are presented with a whole new set of challenges. Oftentimes, because they lack the experience or know-how to deal with software-specific issues such as proactive and seamless electronic software delivery, trials, upgrades, updates, and renewals, they end up causing interruption to their service.
The solution is a software monetization platform that allows companies selling hardware and software to deliver on their brand promises by providing operational excellence, product leadership, and customer intimacy. Businesses have to transform and optimize for a post-sale, on-demand digital economy in which everything is immediate, scalable, and secure. This is an economy where customers are able to get what they want, when they want it, and where brand reputations can be built or destroyed with a single click.
Constellation Research’s Ray Wang explores this topic in greater detail in his excellent presentation on disrupting digital business in the post-sale, on-demand attention economy, which can be viewed here.
An immersive two-day event, LicensingLive! provides attendees with a platform for discussing the various challenges, opportunities, risks, and rewards that a software-everywhere world is creating for businesses. At this year’s event, there were sessions covering such wide-ranging topics as:
- Security for the IoT
- The third industrial revolution – IoT (by Amy Konary of IDC (News - Alert))
- Software monetization strategies to transform your business
- Business transformation execution (by Simon-Kutcher and Partners)
- Improving the quote to cash flow process
- Opportunities and risks in the IoT (by Laurie Wurster of Gartner (News - Alert))
- A panel discussion about key things you can implement today to future-proof your business, and a workshop on license model flexibility for a competitive advantage (led by Chris Kocher of Grey Heron)
We also heard a number of real-life case studies documenting the journey from hardware manufacturer to software and services vendor, in both on-premise and virtual environments. Perhaps most compelling of all was HP’s business transformation initiative, which saw the company introduce a new licensing and entitlement customer portal as a means to increasing customer satisfaction and engagement, and reducing support costs.
There are many more insightful, well-prepared presentations that you can watch online at your leisure. Personally, I really enjoyed the real-life use cases, the session on pricing, and the keynote speech by Los Angeles Dodgers’ Steve Garvey.
While we all have very busy days, obtaining valuable insights is always a terrific investment of one’s time. The recorded presentations from Licensing Live! 2015 are just as compelling today as the first time they were delivered.
Edited by Kyle Piscioniere
Software Monetization eBooks
Featured Case Studies
- Apollo Communications Protects its Intellectual Property and Enforces Software Licensing with Gemalto Sentinel
- Cadac Group Cuts Operational Expenses & Gains Licensing Flexibility with Gemalto Sentinel
- Sentinel LDK Assures Revenue, Expands Licensing Flexibility, and Reduces System Management Costs for CAD Software Company
- Softing Industrial Automation Works with Gemalto Sentinel to Monetize the IoT
- Miko Maximizes Software Revenue & Reduces Operational Expenses with Gemalto Sentinel
- Xsens Technologies Streamlines Operations & Expands Revenue with Sentinel
- Structural Test and Monitoring Software Protected by Sentinel Integrated with NI LabVIEW
- Seize the IoT Opportunity
- Format International Replaces Inflexible Software Protection and Licensing Dongles with Sentinel LDK with EMS
- Envitrans Reduces Software Piracy & Expands Revenue with Sentinel LDK and Sentinel EMS Business Challenges
- Snell Protects Valuable IP and Streamlines Licensing Operations with Sentinel RMS & EMS
- Following Several Acquisitions, Sage Implements Sentinel RMS to Harmonize a Multitude of Disparate Licensing Systems- existing on site now
- With SafeNet Sentinel, AEOL Protects their Market-leading Training Software while Driving Back-office Efficiencies- existing on site now
Featured White Papers
- Frost & Sullivan - Penny Wise, Pound Foolish: The Fallacies of Choosing to Build vs Buy a Software Monetization System
- NEW! Frost & Sullivan - Competitive Analysis of the Software Licensing and Monetization Market
- NEW! IDC Cloud-Based Software Adoption Delivering Value to Customers
- Frost & Sullivan - Get Connected to Profit: Embracing Software Propels Growth in IoT Era
- More Variety with Less Cost: Using Software Features to Achieve Product Differentiation
- Monetizing the IoT: Show Me the Money: A Grey Heron white paper sponsored by Gemalto
- Cloud-Based Software Licensing - A THINKstrategies white paper: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitiveness
- Consolidating Software Licensing Technologies Post M & A: A survival guide for software publishers & intelligent device manufacturers
- 5 Tips for Software Monetization in the IoT
- IDC Supporting Software Business Transformation with Systems Designed for the Task
- How to Achieve a Cloud-Connected Experience Using On-Premise Applications
- IDC Meeting Customer and Business Needs in a Changing Market
- NEW! Cloud-Based Software Licensing: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Pricing Model Flexibility as a Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Monetizing IoT - Show me the Money
- NEW! Monetization Strategies and Technologies to Future-proof Your Business