Featured Article from Software Monetization
Business Processes & Outcomes Key to Successful Software Licensing Strategy
Software licensing is a comprehensive task involving a host of variables and wild cards. Businesses of all sizes that wish to successfully monetize and optimize their software licensing practices would do well to develop a strategic plan incorporating all the people, processes and technologies involved.
Software licensing and monetization experts Gemalto (News - Alert) have released a whitepaper designed to help guide companies through the process. “How to Get Software Licensing Right the First Time” covers the steps required to develop a comprehensive and successful software licensing strategy. Above all, Gemalto recommends building a cohesive licensing team alongside a strategy, ensuring that core business processes and goals are part of any software licensing approach.
Having reliable license management technology in place can go a long way toward meeting team and business strategic goals. According to Gemalto, the first step toward developing a solid licensing strategy is to assign a licensing owner. This person will lead all initial licensing decisions and strategies and will also own the licensing process after it launches. An ideal candidate will have a good deal of customer experience and will also understand what is happening in the field to ensure customer interactions go smoothly. Product managers will often make good software license managers.
The next critical step in the process is to establish a licensing team encompassing all functions and departments within the organization. Having each area represented in strategic licensing decisions is critical to making the best decisions for both the business and its customers. Companies should also conduct regular licensing reviews and planning sessions through the lifecycle of the software product. Licensing strategies will need to evolve along with the product, taking into account economic, technology and market trends as well as other variables.
Finally, businesses need to go beyond technology and consider business process integration when developing a software license strategy. And that means looking at the big picture and factoring in all the people, processes and technologies involved. Once these steps have been taken, companies can go ahead and choose a licensing technology vendor and then develop their license models and their license requirement specs. Following the software project lifecycle, a licensing project lifecycle will emerge to determine workflows and account for customer experience and feedback.
Throughout the entire software license development and implementation process, the main consideration should be business processes and outcomes. A high-level and comprehensive approach to licensing that takes all metrics and factors into consideration is absolutely essential to success.
Edited by Alicia Young
Software Monetization eBooks
Featured Case Studies
- Apollo Communications Protects its Intellectual Property and Enforces Software Licensing with Gemalto Sentinel
- Cadac Group Cuts Operational Expenses & Gains Licensing Flexibility with Gemalto Sentinel
- Sentinel LDK Assures Revenue, Expands Licensing Flexibility, and Reduces System Management Costs for CAD Software Company
- Softing Industrial Automation Works with Gemalto Sentinel to Monetize the IoT
- Miko Maximizes Software Revenue & Reduces Operational Expenses with Gemalto Sentinel
- Xsens Technologies Streamlines Operations & Expands Revenue with Sentinel
- Structural Test and Monitoring Software Protected by Sentinel Integrated with NI LabVIEW
- Seize the IoT Opportunity
- Format International Replaces Inflexible Software Protection and Licensing Dongles with Sentinel LDK with EMS
- Envitrans Reduces Software Piracy & Expands Revenue with Sentinel LDK and Sentinel EMS Business Challenges
- Snell Protects Valuable IP and Streamlines Licensing Operations with Sentinel RMS & EMS
- Following Several Acquisitions, Sage Implements Sentinel RMS to Harmonize a Multitude of Disparate Licensing Systems- existing on site now
- With SafeNet Sentinel, AEOL Protects their Market-leading Training Software while Driving Back-office Efficiencies- existing on site now
Featured White Papers
- Frost & Sullivan - Penny Wise, Pound Foolish: The Fallacies of Choosing to Build vs Buy a Software Monetization System
- NEW! Frost & Sullivan - Competitive Analysis of the Software Licensing and Monetization Market
- NEW! IDC Cloud-Based Software Adoption Delivering Value to Customers
- Frost & Sullivan - Get Connected to Profit: Embracing Software Propels Growth in IoT Era
- More Variety with Less Cost: Using Software Features to Achieve Product Differentiation
- Monetizing the IoT: Show Me the Money: A Grey Heron white paper sponsored by Gemalto
- Cloud-Based Software Licensing - A THINKstrategies white paper: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitiveness
- Consolidating Software Licensing Technologies Post M & A: A survival guide for software publishers & intelligent device manufacturers
- 5 Tips for Software Monetization in the IoT
- IDC Supporting Software Business Transformation with Systems Designed for the Task
- How to Achieve a Cloud-Connected Experience Using On-Premise Applications
- IDC Meeting Customer and Business Needs in a Changing Market
- NEW! Cloud-Based Software Licensing: Enabling Operational Efficiency, Delighted Customers and Sustainable Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Pricing Model Flexibility as a Competitive Advantage
- NEW! Monetizing IoT - Show me the Money
- NEW! Monetization Strategies and Technologies to Future-proof Your Business